11 August 2010

Fueling Geeky Aspiration

Geeks will always be geeks. I'm no Alfred Nobel Prize winner nor a beauty queen but I do console myself with claiming geek-hood or that have forced myself into that demographic, at least, though real members of it may protest. But do let's move on, bear with me and just accept that, in fact, I am a geek; I have something to feel excited about today.

Yes, new stuff!

Today, I just got me this:

2GB Kingston DDR3 1066 /PC-8500 SoDIMM

Actually it's the same memory module sold at a local PC/electronic store, Villman and I quote:
FEATURES:
JEDEC standard 1.5V ± 0.075V Power Supply
VDDQ = 1.5V ± 0.075V
533MHz fCK for 1066Mb/sec/pin
8 independent internal bank
Programmable CAS Latency: 6,7,8,9
Posted CAS
Programmable Additive Latency: 0, CL - 2, or CL - 1 clock
Programmable CAS Write Latency(CWL) = 7(DDR3-1066)
8-bit pre-fetch
Burst Length: 8 (Interleave without any limit, sequential with starting address “000” only), 4 with tCCD = 4
which does not allow seamless read or write [either on the fly using A12 or MRS]
Bi-directional Differential Data Strobe
Internal(self) calibration : Internal self calibration through ZQ pin (RZQ : 240 ohm ± 1%)
On Die Termination using ODT pin
Average Refresh Period 7.8us at lower then TCASE 85°C, 3.9us at 85°C < TCASE . 95°C
Asynchronous Reset
PCB : Height 1.180” (30.00mm), double sided component
PERFORMANCE:
CL(IDD) 7 cycles
Row Cycle Time (tRCmin) 50.63ns (min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFCmin) 110ns
Row Active Time (tRASmin) 37.5ns (min.)
Power 1.560 W (operating)
UL Rating 94 V - 0
Normal Operating Temperature 0o C to 85o C
Storage Temperature -55o C to +100o C
To be perfectly honest, much of the details above I don't understand; just "blahs" ya know, and before you ask, nope, they didn't pay me for advertising. In fact I think I'm gonna ruin their good name with this post rather than promote the well-fare of their sales figures this quarter.
As you can see, the same module sells for Php 2,999 (around USD$ 66.31 - exorbitant, I know, but that's reality).
But it's not from Villman I got my new stick of 2GB DDR3 goodness: I got it from a nice lady who has got a small business in selling PC parts on-line and I only needed to shell out: Php 1,700 for an authentic Kingston.

Too bad for Villman who ain't gonna pocket that extra Php 1,200 on my expense, no sireee!

I'm excited to test it. Will post how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, you plan to put it in your 311c to reach 3GB RAM ?

LeMaurien19 said...

Precisely :D